Pages

11 March, 2010

Dallas Trip, Final Part

On the last day of my visit, we planned a big day of SHOPPING! My sister had an appointment to go to early in the morning, so I went on another adventure run through Dallas, then came back for the usual apple/banana/cinnamon combo for breakfast. Yum.


I didn't know that my sister was planning on visiting Bliss Raw Cafe and Elixir Bar so early, but she wanted to go as soon as she got back at 11. I wasn't that hungry, but that was okay. We piled in the car, put on some tunes, and followed the directions. It's in a slightly sketchy part of town, and it's tiny! Much, much smaller than expected. The dining area is basically a covered patio, which I guess they can get away with in the winter because it's Dallas, not New York, haha.


I don't know about you, but raw food restaurants always have that certain smell. It smells like "clean" mixed with fresh veggies. It's pretty much delicious. Has anyone else noticed this?


Anyway, that's what Bliss smelled like when we walked in. We were the first customers there, and we were kind of apprehensive about the whole thing, until we saw more families and couples coming in. All their drinks looked super delicious, but we just ordered a pot of rose tea to share.




Aren't the little tea cups cute?


I was having trouble deciding on what to get. I love kale, so I was contemplating the kale salad, but I thought I should probably get something that I couldn't easily make at home. I didn't want anything too heavy on the nuts, either, so it was down between the Coconut Kale Enchiladas, the Greek wrap, and the Sea Salad Sandwich. I have trouble making decisions, especially when they involve yummy food, so this one was a doozy. My sister decided on the enchiladas, so it was down to the wrap or the sandwich. I decided on the sandwich because it sounded sooo interesting!


And this is what arrived:


I wasn't expecting such a big sandwich!


The sea salad was made out of celery, pickles, dulse seaweed, apples, onions
on black sesame sunflower bread. I think the salad that came on the side was a kind of raw pickle relish...but anyway, it was delectable.


It was pretty messy, but worth it!

Close up of the relish...


It didn't quite taste like tuna salad, but it did have that "fishy" taste (in a good way) and I liked that it was basically nut free!



The enchiladas were excellent; Mexican food always translates well raw. It was spicy but not too spicy. The guacamole was fresh and the "beans" tasted just like refried beans.

After that we hit up the malls, but I didn't really find anything except this dress, which reminded me of Lady Gaga (hence the Lady Gaga finger thing...)



It was fun to try on, haha!

We also visited Central Market for dinner. It's pretty much an amazing grocery store, like Whole Foods, only bigger. I love their orange samples...they have so many kinds to choose from!


(Source)


We had the salad bar and some sushi, which was delicious. I picked up an Asian pear to eat on the plane the next day. I love Asian pears, but I think they're an acquired taste. Does anyone else feel the same way?


I had loads of fun on my trip, and I can't wait to go back for her graduation!


Here's the lineup for my next posts:


Bar Sampling
NYC Trip
Perhaps a "Naked" juice post?


I hope you have a wonderful Thursday! I can't wait to hear all your comments.

P.S. GIVEAWAY! Averie over at Love Veggies and Yoga is having a raw cookbook giveaway!

8 comments:

  1. The sandwich is huge...I would of devoured it ; ) YUM!

    Pure2raw twins

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd absolutely love to try a raw restaurant! That sammie looks so big and delicious. Glad you had a good time in Dallas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you guys are so lucky - I love RAW restaurants. We just missed one another in Texas although I didn't make it to Dallas this time. I checked out Central Market in Houston though :) I think you chose wisely with your sandwich. Now to try and recreate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh that sandwich looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your blog!
    Im raw vegan as well!
    Come and check my blog!... (you can translate it in english!)
    Hope you have a great week,
    Cynthia
    (aromasdemicocina.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the foodie blogroll!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for the give away link and OMGosh the food looks divine..the relish, yum! wow, great eats for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually just found your blog too! I clicked on a link from my phone and I made a mental note to add you to my google reader once I was on a computer again. I'm really intrigued by your mission to eat raw on a college campus, can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete