Pages

21 March, 2010

NYC, Part One

Sorry for the delay in posting...as usual, I had a busy week and this weekend I am visiting a friend, so I'm a bit short on time.


Now for my weekend in NYC.


I had never been to NYC, even though I've visited relatives there many times, so I was very excited. I went down with some other psychology students to present a poster at the EPA (Eastern Psychological Association) conference in Brooklyn. We drove down there, which took about seven hours. Somehow I got appointed as the navigator, helping my professor with directions. I usually think of myself as "directionally-challenged," but after successfully guiding him through the streets of NYC and hearing everyone's affirmation of my apparent "skills," I think I'm going to reevaluate my thoughts about it. :)


After we checked into our hotel, we went in search of some food. On the way there, we stopped at Mickey D's. Of course, I'm not a fan, but I had a fruit and walnut salad (sans yogurt). When I'm on the road, I don't really like to eat a lot...do any of you feel that way too?


We ended up going to a Chinese restaurant called "Andy's." What a name for a Chinese restaurant! I had steamed veggies and brown rice. The rice was actually pretty tasty, considering I'm usually not a fan. At the end of the meal they brought out little dishes of pineapple and toothpicks for the table to share. Apparently no one else was into the pineapple thing, so I got to enjoy three dishes of lovely pineapple (no picture).


Sorry for the picture; the lighting was not all that great.




When we were walking back, I passed a cute little grocery store with bins of fresh fruit, and I made a mental note to come back there in the morning to buy my breakfast. We attended the keynote speaker, who was good but his talk was slightly graphic (dealing with the Abu Ghraib incidents), so I didn't stay for the whole thing.


I'll continue with part two later tonight or tomorrow, as it is time to get ready for the day (and my computer is running out of juice).




How was everyone's St. Paddy's Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment