Pages

30 January, 2010

Sushi-licious


I. love. sushi. But only the veggie kind, of course. I've never been a fan of rice, so when I go to Whole Foods or some place similar, I always check to see if they have brown rice sushi. But raw sushi? It's the best. I love how jicama can stand in for the rice and the sushi still tastes like sushi. I find it has a slightly sweeter taste, though.

I use the second finest grater to shred the jicama, then I place it between a stack of paper towels. I sandwich that in a kitchen towel, then use a rolling pin to roll the heck out of that jicama. When I worked at the dining hall, one of the Asian chefs taught me how to make sushi, and while I am no means an expert, I think I have a pretty good grasp on it, though it's not hard to do at all. I simply spread the drier-jicama on the nori sheet, then top with julienned veggies (cut with a mandoline). It's delicious dipped in liquid aminos (even coconut aminos, thanks to this lovely lady) mixed with a little spicy mustard. Yum.



This was my latest attempt at raw sushi. I love how beautiful it looks. It has cucumbers, carrots, and avocado in it.  I can't wait til I can have it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment