Pages

27 September, 2009

Banana Granita

I've decided that bananas are one of the most versatile fruits when it comes to roughing it raw. Not only are they delicious right out of hand, but they can be made into lots of desserts. Just thinking about it now, you can make puddings, ice cream, frozen pies, and little banana and nut butter sandwiches...but I'm sure there are many more things out there.


Last week when I made the banana butter cup pie, I also threw some bananas in the food processor with some agave and blended until they were liquid. I poured the mixture into a container and froze it to see how the texture would turn out. Well, my freezer doesn't freeze items rock-hard, which was great because then I probably wouldn't be able to get any of the ice cream out! The texture of the frozen bananas was like a granita; kind of icy but a little more smooth than a granita. It was scoop-able and made pretty little scoops in the bowl.


Here's a picture of the finished product:


Yum! Delicious bananas!


At home, using the VitaMix, I would make delicious banana ice cream using previously frozen and peeled bananas, a bit of raw honey or agave, Himalayan sea salt, vanilla, and maybe some carob or cacao powder. In the VitaMix, the bananas do get the consistency of real ice cream, not the kind of slimy mix you can get if you make it in the food processor.


I'm thinking that my next project will be pudding...but as for upcoming posts, a little hint: think cashews.

No comments:

Post a Comment