Pages

20 September, 2009

Banana Butter Cup Pie

Yum! This post is all about my foray into dessert making with my mini food processor. My mother sent me a raw recipe for Banana Butter Pie, which called for some ingredients that I didn't have. So, I improvised! I changed the recipe a little bit, as well. I added a chocolate layer and a garnish of banana slices. 


I wanted to add the chocolate flavor to channel the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup idea, so I spooned a little coconut oil into the food processor and threw in some cacao nibs and a drizzle of agave. The food processor doesn't do as great of a job as a coffee grinder does to grind the cacao nibs into powder, so the final result was a little grainier than I would have liked, but still delicious. The riper the bananas, the sweeter the banana butter layer. If your bananas aren't sweet enough, you can add a little agave or dates to sweeten additionally.


This is a perfect recipe for the dorm, since bananas are plentiful at the dining hall. The taste is terrific; creamy like a peanut butter cup. The chocolate layer is a bit firmer than the banana butter layer, but it's a nice textural contrast. The banana butter layer is so smooth and creamy; it has the texture of rich ice cream. You could really change the amounts of ingredients in the recipe to make a larger or smaller batch.


I hope you enjoy!

Banana Butter Cup Pie
Serves: 4 (or 2 very generously)


Ingredients:
3 ripe medium bananas
1/3 cup raw almond butter ( I used homemade)
1.5 TBL coconut oil (liquid)
3 TBL raw cacao nibs
2 TBL raw agave nectar
0.5 banana, sliced


Method:
1. Break up the 3 bananas into chunks and process them in the food processor until liquidy. Add the almond butter and process until incorporated.
2. Pour banana-almond butter mixture into container. I used a quart sized plastic container.
3. Combine the coconut oil, cacao nibs, and agave in the food processor and process until incorporated. If you have a coffee grinder, it's helpful to grind up the cacao beforehand.
4. Pour the cacao mixture on top of the banana-almond butter mixture and swirl with a knife. 
5. Arrange the banana slices attractively on top of the mixture.
6. Freeze for at least 3 hours or until firm.
7. Slice and enjoy!


Enjoy the deluge of pictures!








































No comments:

Post a Comment