Pages

21 July, 2010

The City of Blinding Lights...

One thing I love about Italy is that most of the time, their fast food is, dare I say it, healthy. Yes, sure, there are the pizza and french fries and other friend options, but I can always count on getting a plate of roasted potatoes, or patate al forno. I discovered, partially by accident, something I already knew. Have you ever done something like that before?

I had some balsamic vinegar left on my plate at dinner once from my salad, and sitting next to it was a pile of roasted potatoes. The potatoes had started to soak up the vinegar, so I decided to try it. Wow. I thought I was on the edge of a new discovery when I realized it's pretty much the same thing as malt vinegar on fish and chips. Oh. Total letdown. 

And again, once there were mashed potatoes for dinner. Some balsamic mixed in with those potatoes, along with some leftover salad greens. Another new discovery? Nah, pretty much the same thing as Irish colcannon.

Oh well, let's just call it a personal discovery, shall we?

While waiting for my delayed flight to Paris, I got a little snacky-snacky. I headed over to the fast food place and grabbed some roasted potatoes. For just under 3 euro, I got a huge plate of potatoes. Granted, they weren't spectacular, but the fact that they had chili powder and vinegar made my day. And it made quite the tasty combination.

I took a little detour in Disneyland Paris. We ate dinner at one of the buffets and it was delicious. The lighting inside was really crappy, so the pictures didn't turn out the way I wanted, so please bear with me.

Fresh tomatoes, baby radishes, carrots, a chopped veggie salad, heavy on the dressing, red cabbage slaw (it had a horseradish tang to it that was absolutely amazing), and a beet salad with a mustard dressing.

Plate #2: watermelon, marinated cherry tomatoes, curried cabbage slaw, mixed bean salad, and some veggie terrine (what it was made of I have no idea...any guesses? It had a layer of green, white, and then light orange...)

Last plate of real food: eggplant caponata (too much cornstarch or something), grilled veggies, potato wedges (doesn't that sound better than french fries?), and scalloped potatoes (good, way really rich).

My strategy with dessert was to take a little of everything and just have a bit or so. It's not worth it to eat the whole thing if you don't really love it. That being said, I'll only show you the pictures of the desserts that were worth mentioning.

This was some sort of coconut cake-tart-thing...layers of custard between cake (which you really can't see in the photo).

Lemon tart: it was perfect - not too sweet and with just the right tang. I didn't eat the crust because I've never been much of a crust person anyway, and I think it takes away from the flavors of the dessert.

I knew I had to try a crepe in France, even if I was in Disney, so the next  day I got one of these babies.

Can you say chocolate much? 

I'll leave you with this picture that cracks me up every time I see it. And slightly embarrassing.

Me at Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin...pure concentration, haha.

Questions: Are you a Disney-lover?

I have a blog detailing my time here in Italy, but the focus is more on travel, not food. If you'd like to read it, though, just send me an email or post a comment and I'll send you the link. I think it definitely shows my personality a little bit more, haha.

3 comments:

  1. The European way of life is so much healthier than Americans! Granted, they aren't workout fiends like we are, but they eat so many more fresh vegetables. The potatoes and vinegar actually sounds delicious. I need to try that next time I'm eating potatoes! Glad you're enjoying your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we love Disney!!! We grew up with, and we even have been to Disneyland Paris a few years ago. Glad you are having a great time!
    Pure2raw twins

    ReplyDelete
  3. DISNEYLAND. OMG.

    ya rawfood there is super hard to find..i mean..i can't think of anything other than water lol..have you been finding things difficult?

    ReplyDelete